Monday, July 16, 2007

The Big Day!

Day 5

Today we chose our projects! I am very excited to be part of Group Vernal! We will be studying one particular vernal pool that is right off the Tibbets trail and taking what we find and looking for other vernal pools in the area.

We began this morning with three really great facilitations! We started out using our creative side to describe a special place that is dear to our heart and makes us feel like we have a sense of place. I really enjoyed listening and seeing other people's places. For me it was hard to describe but I did my best. In the end it actually made me kind of homesick. Below is the poem I wrote about my place:

Paradise Cove
There is a spot we cherish,
Tucked away by Point Dume.
Where if by land or by sea,
I feel like I'm home.

The smell of salt is in the air,
And the kelp beds are quite abundant.
Just below the surface you enter another world,
A world not belonging to us,
but a world where tranquility resides.

A place I call home where I may not rest my head,
A place that reminds me of my life as a child,
A place so beautiful it will take your breath away.

The great aspect of this class is that you are allowed to be you. Your thoughts and ideas are never wrong or dumb, and I love that. We are connecting physically and emotionally with our surroundings and what I am learning in this class I want to take with me in my next journey.

Quote of the day:
If you don't know where you are, you don't know who you are.

-Wendell Berry







No comments: